Recently, Kim Marx-Kuczynski shared a 1958 McCall’s article, entitled “129 Ways to Get a Husband”. The publisher asked 16 people to brainstorm strategies lonely women could use to get men to pay attention to them, and they delivered. The list is amazing because the magazine did ask them to throw away their judgments when writing down their thoughts. Kim’s comment regarding this list is remarkable she told “I think the article is reflective of the social mores of the era, and I found the comparison between what was acceptable then and what is acceptable now fascinating.”
I’m sharing the list here. I also pick some of my favorites. I’ll try them and let you know if they work or not.
- Don’t take a Job in a company run largely by women.
- Wear a band-aid. People always ask what happened.
- Don’t be afraid to associate with more attractive girls; they may have some leftovers.
- On a plan, train or bus don’t sit next to a woman – sit next to a man.
- Make a lot of money.
- Dropping the handkerchief still works.
- “Accidentally” have your purse fly open, scattering its contents all over the street
- Stand in a corner and cry softly. Chances are good that he’ll come over to find out what’s wrong.
sourceThanks: Deniz Atalay